To enhance the quality of life for every person in Wood and Wirt counties by receiving and transmitting emergency and non-emergency calls for assistance by dispatching Police, Fire and Emergency Medical Service agencies promptly, efficiently and professionally, thereby helping to save lives, protect property and assisting the public; thus making Wood and Wirt counties a safer community in which to live, work and visit.

The Wood County 9-1-1 Advisory Board meets at 4 pm the second Monday of February, May, August, and November at the Wood County 9-1-1 center. This meeting is open to the public.

What is 911?

The 9-1-1 Emergency System makes an important difference in our communities everyday. It is your FIRST source of help in time of crisis and it can mean the difference between life and death. When used properly, 9-1-1 saves seconds and those seconds can save lives.

9-1-1 is the number most people in the U.S. call to get help in an emergency. They call this number when the police, fire department or emergency medical services are needed. Your call is routed to the Central Telecommunications Center and a Telecommunicator will answer your call. He or she will then dispatch the required responders. In a matter of minutes, a responder will be at your location.

Each household or business pays a small monthly fee for 9-1-1 service on each telephone line that appears on their phone bill. There is no per-call charge for calling 9-1-1. However, EMS/ambulances dispatched through 9-1-1 may charge for taking someone to the hospital; this is a separate ambulance charge, NOT a 9-1-1 charge.

Our Goal

Strive to provide the highest quality of services within the means provided:

  • By maintaining a qualified staff, trained and educated using all available resources.
  • By delivering reliable, timely and accurate information and services.
  • By maintaining open communications with all response agencies and the public.
  • By maintaining efficient personnel management and system operations.
  • Moreover, by complying with Federal, State, and Local requirements

What is 911?

Call 2-1-1

Call 2-1-1 If you need information on:

  • Basic human needs, food, rent, clothing, utilities
  • Employment, training, education
  • Support for people who are elderly, young, or disabled
  • Physical and mental health resources, support groups, crisis lines, and insurance
  • Services for veterans, families, etc.
  • Area events and many other needs

Call 2-1-1 free 24 hour information line for Wood County, or call 424-3457 (Weekdays, 9am – 4pm)

Advisory Board

The Wood County 9-1-1 Advisory Board meets at 4 pm the second Monday of February, May, August and November at the Wood County 9-1-1 Center. This meeting is open to the public.

  • Charlie Meyers, Chairman Wood County Firefighters Assoc.
  • Chief Shawn Graham City of Williamstown
  • Dwane Weekley, SJAS Healthcare Provider
  • Chief Mike Deem Wood County Sheriff Dept.
  • Tom Blondin General Public
  • Chief Mike Pifer, Vienna Police City of Vienna
  • Rick Woodyard, Director Central Telecommunications Center
  • Larry Stephens, Camden Clark Ambulance Emergency Medical Services Providers
  • Blair Couch Wood County Commission
  • Jack Horton Media
  • Chief Joe Martin, Parkersburg Police City of Parkersburg
  • Gib Jackson General Public
  • Dave McClure, Camden-Clark Hospital Healthcare Provider
  • Chief Jason Matthews, Parkersburg Fire City of Parkersburg
  • Sgt. R.E. Richardson WV State Police
  • Lew Peck
  • Mike Shook Wood County Emergency Management/911

Employment Opportunities

Check back for employment opportunities!

Qualification Requirements


  • Completion of high school or GED.
  • Willingness to establish and actively maintain a program of continuing education directed to self-improvement in the position.


  • Radio and telephone dispatching of police, medical or fire agencies preferred, but not required.

Special Requirements

  • Applicant is subject to a background investigation.
  • Physical, hearing, and psychological examination.
  • Must reside within a 30-minute drive
  • Must be able to type a minimum 30 words per minute.

Download the Application for Employment

Public Relations

Cell Phones and 911

Did you know that you can call 911 from a cell phone in an emergency and it will not use your minutes? You can. Be sure that you have a true emergency!!

You can also use a cell phone that you no longer have service or minutes for to call 911. All it needs is a charged battery. Turn it on and dial 911 in an emergency.

*** Parents *** Do not let children play with your cell phone, even if you have no service on it. It can still call 911. The center receives numerous calls throughout the year from children playing on cell phones. When 911 operators/dispatchers answer these calls, it ties them up which may cause someone with a true emergency to have to wait. 911 hang up calls could cost someone else their life if they cannot reach us for help because you are playing on the phone !!

False 911 calls and hang ups can lead to law enforcement investigations with cooperation from your cell or telephone company. If you think it is funny to make false 911 calls or hang ups, you may not be laughing when you spend time in jail or detention.  

If you want a 911 presentation for your school, group or organization, please call Director Rick Woodyard at (304) 420-0911.


To obtain an address for a new structure or mobile home there are three steps to complete.   First a building permit needs to be obtained from the County Court House Room 308 or County Administrators Office.   Second, if the structure will be more than 50ft off the roadway, you will need to establish the driveway so a vehicle may drive to the exact location the structure will be built or placed.   And third, the structure will need to be staked out, all 4 corners, where it is to be built or placed.    

Once these three processes are complete the Addressing / Mapping Coordinator will drive to the location with GPS equipment to obtain a new address.    It usually takes the Coordinator 3 to 4 working days to complete that process.  Arrangements for access should be made at the time obtaining the permit if there are any locked gates, cables, etc. blocking the drive.

Anyone building or placing a structure off a driveway that already has an addressed structure you should talk with the Addressing / Mapping Coordinator because it may require naming the drive and addressing structures from that drive.   All persons having access off that drive will need to agree to the roadname and sign a form stating that.  The one structure on the drive will need to be re-addressed once the drive has been named.  The drive still remains your private drive, it will just have a name and be addressed by the distance up that drive and whether right side (even) or left side (odd).

If you have further questions, please contact the Addressing / Mapping Coordinator via email: or via phone: 304-420-0911.





Emergency Operations Plan

The Wood County Emergency Operations Plan has been developed and maintained by the Wood County Office of Emergency Management (WCOEM) and Wood-Wirt Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC). Originally, the WCOEM coordinated with county government departments as well as in-county and neighboring jurisdictions to ensure an overall compatibility of operations.

This plan provides Wood County, West Virginia the basis for a systematic approach to the solution of problems created by the threat or occurrence of emergencies. It identifies the responsibilities, functions, operational guidelines and working relationships between and within governmental entities and their various departments, private support groups, and individual citizens.

Download the current Emergency Operations Plan.

View the Promulgation Statement to the Emergency Operations Plan.

Tier II Email Submission Procedure

Tier II Reporting

Attach the file to an email addressed to .

  • Your submission will be returned if you use any other email address.
  • We can’t accept files in Word, Excel, or PDF formats from your Tier II report as your Tier II submission.
  • The file must be a submission created by the Tier2Submit software or it will be rejected.
  • Be sure to include “Tier2Submit” and your company name in the subject line, and a contact and phone number in the body of the email.
  • Be sure the file you’re sending includes the company name. If the requested information isn’t supplied, your submission won’t be processed.

Send the email to the above address.

If we receive your submission, you’ll get a reply stating “Your Tier2Submit email has been received.” If, at a later date, we are unable to process it or have questions, we will contact you with the contact information provided in your email.

If you don’t receive a reply within one month of submission:


  • Recheck the file size and email address.
  • Resend the submission to .
  • Call our Superfund Amendments and Reauthorization (SARA) Program:

Ed Hupp – 304-420-0911

Note that there’s a limit on the size of attachments we can receive. If your attachment is larger than 10MB, please consider submitting via CD/diskette.

Emergency Contact

Non-Emergency Contact
(304) 485-8501

(304) 420-0911


Mailing Address
911 Core Road
Parkersburg, WV 26104