The first thing you need to do is check your ticket to see who the issuing agency was.
- For tickets issued by municipalities contact the municipality where the ticket was issued.
- If the ticket was issued by the City of Parkersburg, contact them at 304-424-8400.
- If the ticket was issued by the City of Vienna, contact them at 304-295-4541.
- If the ticket was issued by the City of Williamstown, contact them at 304-375-7761.
- For tickets issued by the Wood County Sheriff’s Office or West Virginia State Police, contact Magistrate Court at 304-422-3444.
The deed information is all located on the website. Go under the County Clerk link and click on the Online Document Imaging link. Or just click this link. The Online Document Imaging is the place where you will find a lot of information pertaining to marriage, lien, deed etc..
The Marriage information is also online for as far back as 1899. Go under the County Clerk link and click on the Online Document Imaging link. The Courthouse has the records on file back to 1801, but these records are not online. Please contact the Marriage License Office for these records by clicking here
This waiting period is only if you are under the age of 18.
Taxes & Licenses
The tax offices are now located in the former Towne Square Building now known as the Judge Black Annex Building. When you walk into the main street entrance (across from Blennerhassett Hotel) the Sheriff Tax Office is on the left and the Assessor’s Office is on the right.
Call the Tax Office at 304-424-1910 if you need a receipt faxed, or you can come into the Tax Office located in the Judge Black Annex at 319 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101, or visit us in our Drive Thru, and ask for it and it will be provided. You can also print a copy of your receipt via our Online Tax Inquiry at http://wood.softwaresystems.com/index.html
You can also mail in a self addressed stamped envelope.
If you have moved, but still own that piece of property and did not update your new mailing address, then it will continue to go to the former address provided. You can also print a copy of your receipt via our Online Tax Inquiry at http://wood.softwaresystems.com/index.html
The Sheriff’s Tax Office no longer mails a receipt unless a self addressed stamped envelope is provided.
County fee, $1.00 is kept by the County the other $1.00 goes to the Deputy Sheriff Retirement Fund
Personal Property – Sheriff’s Tax Office in the Judge Black Annex at 319 Market Street, Parkersburg, WV 26101
Real Estate – Real Estate Assessor’s Office located on the 3rd Floor of the County Courthouse or Sheriff’s Tax Office
Real Estate – If you have moved, but still own that piece of property and did not update your new mailing address, then it will continue to go to the former address provided. You can also print a copy of your receipt via our Online Tax Inquiry at http://wood.softwaresystems.com/index.html
Personal Property (Vehicles) – Must fill out Assessment Card from July 1 through October 1 or online
Yes, if you have a renewal form from Charleston that is not more than 3 months expired, and have your insurance information filled out on the back.
The Sheriff’s Tax Office cannot renew boats, campers, trailers, or hybrid vehicles, or do 2 year decals. For these renewals, you must visit the DMV.
The Sheriff’s Tax Office only renews Class A + Class G for 1 year. Class G can only be done in February.
Sheriff of Wood County
You can pay your taxes either by mailing it in or stopping by the office.
If mailing it in please send check or money order to:
PO BOX 1985 PARKERSBURG, WV 26102 CHECKS PAYABLE TO – SHERIFF OF WOOD COUNTY
(If mailing taxes and a receipt is wanted, provide a self addressed stamped envelope)
If you are stopping into the office it is located at
JUDGE BLACK ANNEX 319 MARKET ST. PARKERSBURG, WV 26101
Drive thru is open 8:30am – 4:00pm Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, and is located off of 4th street, turn right into the alley, you will see signs.
You will need to supply a tax ticket to pay either way.
To ensure all your taxes get paid, please provide a Tax Statement, District, Map, Parcel #, Account Number, or Ticket Number
How to obtain dog tags: You can do it through the mail, through filing online (if you file your personal property online) or by coming to our office or the humane society.
Cost: $3.00 if you live outside city limits (country districts) or in the city of Parkersburg. $6.00 if you live in Williamstown or Vienna.
If you choose to do it through the mail we need your name, address, and phone number. We need the age, breed, color, and sex of the dog, along with a check or money order for the correct amount of money.
We do not send change through the mail. If it is the incorrect amount, you will get your check back and a note asking for the correct amount. If you do not send money with the information, you will receive a 10 day notice to pay the amount and you will not receive your dog tags until it is paid in full.
Go to the Tax Office, the DMV, or the DMV website
Come into Room 201 of the Wood County Courthouse located at 1 Court Square, Parkersburg with a valid ID. There is a $5 fee for certified copies of birth certificates.
Yes, you need a request letter and the $5 fee (certified check or money order) and mail it to: Wood County Clerk, P.O. Box 1474, Parkersburg, WV 26102
No, you must be an immediate family member such as a parent, brother, sister, step-parent, grandparent.
No. The online calendar just shows the available dates for the shelters and parks along with the days that they are booked. To make a reservation please call (304) 424-1976.
Reservations are first come, first serve. Payment in full is required at least 7 days prior to reservation or reservation will be forfeited. We accept check and cash payments only. Refunds will not be issued. A returned check fee of $25.00 will be assessed. View Current Reservations
Credit and Debit Cards are currently accepted for the following transactions:
- All transactions with the County Clerk’s Office (Marriage License, Document Recording, Birth/Death Certificates/etc). There is a processing fee of $1 per transaction plus 2.2% of the total. This fee is collected by the credit card processing company West Virginia Interactive and is not collected by the county.
- Building Permits, Shelter and Meeting Room Reservations, and Parking Payments. There is a processing fee of $1 per transaction plus 2.2% of the toal. This fee is collected by the credit card processing company West Virginia Interactive and is not collected by the county.
- Tax Payments (also available online at http://wood.softwaresystems.com/index.html). There is a processing fee for credit card transactions of 2.35% of the total. This fee is collected by the credit card processing company Certified Payments by Deluxe and is not collected by the county.
Certified Copies of Documents
There are two ways to obtain certified copies of documents if you are eligible to receive the record. The record must be your own or you must be an immediate family member.
The Wood County Courthouse is located at 1 Court Square in Parkersburg. Deeds and Liens are located on the 1st floor. Birth, Death and Probate records are located on the 2nd floor in Room 201. Marriages, Voter Registration and Finance are located on the 4th floor. Probate is located on the 3rd floor in Room 306.
Certified copies of marriage, birth and death certificates are $5.00 each. Copies of other documents are $1.50 for the first two pages and $1.00 for each additional page after that.
- You will need identification to obtain certified copies of birth, death, and marriage records.
- You may mail a request letter or the attached form to: Wood County Clerk, PO Box 1474, Parkersburg, WV 26102. Click here for form