Wood County Commission
The Wood County Commission, comprised of three elected officials, oversees operations of county government including all purchasing and budgeting, correspondence with state and federal government, and hearings for Wood County residents.
The Commission terms are to be held on Mondays from 9:30 A.M. until 1:00 P.M. or until finished; the first Thursday of the month for planning meetings, and if needed, go over the agenda items; and on the third Thursday of the month for Probate, with the Prosecuting Attorney present if possible. The remaining Thursdays will be used as needed and if needed. Anytime there is a holiday on a Monday, the Commission will automatically meet on the Thursday of the same week.
To request an appointment or hearing with the Wood County Commission, contact the County Administrator's office at (304) 424-1984.
The County Commission of Wood County meets on the second floor of the historical courthouse located at #1 Court Square Parkersburg, WV 26101
- Create and authorize the county's annual budget including approval of purchase orders and payment vouchers
- Set the levy rate for property taxes
- Administering and maintaining the county courthouse in Parkersburg, WV
- Overseeing the voting process and certifying the results
- Presides over probate and estate hearings
- Select members for county boards and public service districts
- Approve ordinances in areas of jurisdiction as prescribed by law
County Administrator Marty Seufer
The Wood County Administrator's office is responsible for assisting the County Commission with its duties necessary for the daily operation of Wood County government. The Administrator's office keeps the commissioners' agenda up to date by scheduling appointments for those who need to meet with the Commission.
In addition to formatting the agenda, the office also keeps the minutes of each Commission meeting. They record motions, nominations, and all other activities that occur during a Commission meeting. Commission Meetings are recorded on CDs which are available to the public for a cost of $2.50.
Following are additional responsibilities of the Office of County Administrator:
- County Depositories (orders, letters, etc.)
- Inventory of county property including furniture, office equipment, vehicles
- Updating of records for county vehicles such as those used by the Sheriff's Department, Assessor's Office and Maintenance Department
- Building Permits
- Office of the Director of the Wood County Planning Commission
- Purchase Orders and other orders